Neck pain can come in many forms and often results in loss of movement, pain and headaches.
Different types of neck pain require different management and rehabilitation strategies. Types of neck pain may include:
- Wry neck (‘locked’ neck)
- Joint pain often referred to as facet joint inflammation of degeneration
- Disc related pain
- Referring or nerve related pain
- Headaches caused by upper neck region (Cervicogenic headaches)
- Whiplash (often from Car accidents)
- General muscle tightness or trigger points
- Pain referred from other areas like the shoulder or shoulder blades
As you can see there are numerous pathologies that can cause neck pain. An experienced physiotherapist at Complete Balance will assist in determining the cause of your pain and address the contributing factors in order to reduce your pain or build back your function.
What you may feel / experience with neck pain:
- Sharp/ pinching pain with certain movements of the head
- Heavy aching pain into the shoulder or arm
- Aching and tightness around the muscle
- Stiff and sore upper back region
- Nerve related pain in the arm or upper back
- Headaches behind the eyes, temporal region or back of your head
- Pain when sitting the desk of prolonged periods
It is normal to experience fear and concern about your neck pain however your neck is very resilient and it is rare to have something that cannot be improved.
How can Physiotherapy help you?
Physiotherapy at Complete Balance will help reduce your pain via a number of strategies such as manual therapy & dry needling, education, exercise therapy and unloading positions. It is then imperative to address the ever-important causative factors so the pain stays away. This may include:
- Improving your upper back & neck mobility
- Improving your muscle strength or the reducing tightness
- Increase control and strength of your neck muscles
- Addressing any room for improvement in your posture
- Reducing general overload or repetitive movement
BOOK ONLINE today and see one of our expert physiotherapists to help reduce your neck pain and return you to full function.